Redrow Homes - Arcon Village
Redrow is bringing the past back to live at Arcon Village, in Horwich. Treasured Grade II listed buildings have been revitalised into wonderful bespoke stone-built homes, complemented by sympathetically designed new-build properties. The whole site is classed as a Conservation Area.
The origins of Arcon Village lie in the late 18th century, when the site – then known as Wallsuches - was acquired by the Ridgeway family, who established a bleach works. The family were pioneers of their time, being one of the first to use chemical bleaching during the late 18th century and also the first Bolton firm to install a Boulton and Watt steam engine, in 1798.
In 1933, against a backdrop of mounting difficulties in the textile industry, the factory closed, bringing to an end more than 150 years of bleaching on the site. Prior to Redrow’s acquisition, the site belonged to Arcon Engineering, which was based there from 1950.
Redrow has worked closely with the local authority, as well as English Heritage and the University of Manchester’s Archaeological Unit to sympathetically convert the buildings to homes steeped in character.
Working with the archaeologists, Redrow has strived to maintain the site’s industrial charm and at the same time produce an accurate historical record of the original buildings.
Arcon Village now comprises 140 homes, including one and two-bedroom apartments, townhouses, bungalows and mews style cottages, in a mix of two, three and four-bedroom designs.
In general the stone used throughout the original building complex is yellow sandstone, almost certainly from local quarries, while the roofing material is blue grey slate. Redrow has stayed as true as possible to the existing architecture, using reclaimed materials and faithful replicas in the restoration.
Modern additions with no historical interest were demolished, while original features have been maintained and enhanced. Traditional exteriors belie the modern and stylish interiors, which are designed for 21st century living.
The result is a stunning collection of converted properties with features such as exposed beams, galleried living areas, interesting windows – including large semi-circular arched windows that flood parts of the buildings with light - fantastic skylights, and authentic stone quoins and sills.
A clock tower and bell tower have also been sensitively restored and provide a central landmark feature.
Arcon Village is a ‘hidden oasis’, accessed via a long driveway off Chorley Old Road, on the edge of Horwich, five miles north west of Bolton. The site is bordered by a fishing reservoir, moorland and woodland, while Horwich itself is surrounded by panoramic views of the West Pennine Moors.
The development is just a five minute drive from Middlebrook, one of the largest integrated and sustainable employment, leisure, sports and retail schemes in the country. Horwich Parkway station offers journey times to Bolton centre of less than 10 minutes and to Manchester Piccadilly in just half-an-hour. Easy access to the M61 makes it the perfect location for commuters working in Bolton, Chorley, Preston, Manchester and beyond.